Nose Care, Moisturizer & More for your Dog
Natural Dog Company specializes in Snout Soother, an all natural balm that heals and protects one of our dogs’ most treasured assets – their noses that work so hard to detect the good, the bad and the treasured crumbs off the floor! As you know from my previous post, cold weather products are a must-have and we’ve been fighting off the irritating road and sidewalk salts, amongst other harsh chemicals, from Max and Gertie’s paws with Dog Paws Lotion Bar, with superb results. When I came across this next product for snouts, I had to give it a try. Both of these products actually work to prevent and heal many dry skin areas for dogs (and are also good for human moisturizer too…those quicker, cold walks where I’m too lazy to put on gloves is doing a number on my hands!)
To start and sideline just for a moment, I admit I’m a sucker for pretty packaging/branding and Snout Soother sucked me in from the moment I opened the box and saw a sea of brown and mint green. Aesthetics aside, this stuff is really moisturizing and healing, plus all natural. I wouldn’t consider Max and Gertie to have snouts that appear dry or cracked etc., but I’m all about prevention this year and I’ve learned Snout Soother is good for all sorts of preventative dog care and healing, even beyond the snout:
- Drying or cracking noses
- Natural sunscreen
- Discoid lupus
- Canine acne (who knew?!?)
- Rashes and skin irritations
- Windburn prevention
- Brachycephalic breeds/Short snouts
All Natural Ingredients (just like Dog Paws Lotion Bar…I’m telling you, Max & Gertie have me beat these days in terms of organic beauty products and I’m a girly makeup lover! I need to start borrowing items from them, which by the way you can do with both of these products! Elice from Natural Dog Company tells me Snout Soother works great on humans – lips, elbows, eczema, psoriasis, dry skin etc.). Ingredients and descriptions, per Natural Dog Company:
- Unrefined Shea Nut Butter – A natural sunscreen and anti-flammatory, shea nut butter’s combination of vitamins, minerals, proteins and fatty acids restore the skin’s natural elasticity.
- Organic Hempseed Oil – Reputed to have a higher percentage of polyunsaturated fats than any other vegetable oil, hempseed oil is high in Omega 3 essential fatty acids, which are both potent antioxidants and prostaglandin-mediating anti inflammatories.
- Kukui Nut Oil – A healing and rejuvenating moisturizer that protects the skin from drying and acts as a natural sunscreen. Kukui nut oil is homeostatic, meaning that it helps to restore the skin’s balance.
- Sweet Almond Oil – An outstanding skin softener, conditioner and moisturizer that also helps to relieve itchiness due to dryness. High in minerals, proteins, naturally occurring vitamins and mono-unsaturated and poly-unsaturated fatty acids.
- Jojoba Oil – A natural moisturizer that is bacteriostatic meaning it inhibits the growth of certain acne-causing bacteria.
- Rosemary Extract – A potent antioxidant and anti-inflammatory that strengthens capillaries and protects against free radical damage.
So more specifically, how are we using Snout Soother? I took a good look at Max & Gertie – a dab here and there is keeping their noses fresh and moist, but what I also found was Max’s elbows are in need of some TLC! He’s a bigger dog as you know and as they age and put years of weight on their elbows, they get dry and calloused. To continue to add to my 2013 year of dog preventative care resolution, we’re working on his elbows and the results have been great over the past few weeks. I just rub in a few dabs of Snout Soother on his elbows every night and it’s working to moisten and heal them up. He can’t reach that area with his tongue (mainly b/c of his awkward Pitt Bull mix build, lol), so thankfully he doesn’t lick it off, but even still the product absorbs pretty quickly into dry skin.
You’ll find on the Natural Dog Company website, that you can order Snout Soother in two different sizes, the full 2 oz tin ($15.95) or the 0.25 oz travel/trial size (love this option because you can try it out for only $3.95, and have a cute portable size to travel with or pass on to a friend when you’re bragging about your dog’s latest beauty find. You can order both sizes together for about a $2 price break at $17.95. Alternatively, there is a store locator on the site to find where Snout Soother may be sold near you. When you visit the site, also check out the AMAZING before and after photos from Natural Dog Company’s clients. I was truly impressed!
Let me know what you think and if you’ve given the product a try, how has it worked out for you? Happy Tails (and snouts!), Cara